Thank you for Registering for “Transforming Conflict” with Rev. Doris K. Dalton and Rev. Ximena Diaz!
The following information will help you prepare for this class—
Ordering a Copy of the Book: We know that it is very difficult to find the book, “The Spirit and Art of Conflict Transformation” at this time. Don’t worry! We have a solution:
We will provide a downloadable summary of Chapters 1 and 2 of the book to everyone who is registered (attached at the bottom of this email). This will aid those of you who do not yet have the book and expect your copy to arrive soon. We have also adapted our class content so you will be able to engage in class discussion whether or not you have been able to complete the readings.
If you have not yet ordered your book, we suggest two possibilities:
- The Upper Room bookstore has this book in stock. Here is the link to purchase the book from them: https://bookstore.upperroom.org/Products/1026/the-spirit-and-art-of-conflict-transformation.aspx. You can choose an expedited shipping time to have the book sometime later this week.
- Cokesbury is restocking the book now, and will ship them starting January 16. You can pre-order your copy now: https://www.cokesbury.com/9780835810265-The-Spirit-and-Art-of-Conflict-Transformation.
Save the Class Dates and Times on your Calendar: Thursdays from 6:30-8:30pm on January 13, January 20, January 27 and February 10, 2022.
ZOOM information for each class:
Meeting ID: 813 6824 7764
Required Class Materials: Bible, note pad, “The Spirit and Art of Conflict Transformation” by Thomas Porter (purchase the book at Cokesbury, Upper Room). Optional: Journal
Agenda for each class:
- Welcome and Centering
- Pre-Class Assignment Debrief
- Topic Presentation and Q&A
- 5 minute Break at 7:30
- Leadership Lab: Case Study and Discussion
- Assignments and Wrap Up
You can expect from Doris and Ximena—
- We will honor your presence, your effort and your time
- We will use ZOOM’s Group Chat as an equitable space for processing and sharing
- We will offer a time for reflections, questions and answers
Doris and Ximena expect from You—
- You will honor the learning space and our learning community
- You will help us maintain a “No Blame/No Shame” Zone
- Your greatest learning opportunity comes AFTER the class is over
Class 1 on January 13: Understanding Conflict
Pre-Class Assignment: Read Part I: Chapters One and Two (pages 11-38) in “Spirit and Art of Conflict Transformation” (or review the attached summary if you have not yet received your copy of the book).
- Definitions: What is Conflict?
- Biblical and Theological Grounding
- Types of Conflict
- Responses to Conflict
Assignment for next class: Read Part I: Chapters Three and Four (pages 39-72) in “Spirit and Art of Conflict Transformation” before the next class.
Class 2 on January 20: Assessing Conflict
Pre-Class Assignment: Be prepared to discuss Read Part I: Chapters Three and Four (pages 39-72) in “Spirit and Art of Conflict Transformation”
- Family Systems and Group Dynamics
- Location! Where you are in the conflict
- Responses: Fight, Flight or Freeze
- Identifying Support Systems
Assignment for next class: Read Part II: Chapters Five, Six and Seven (pages 75-110) in “Spirit and Art of Conflict Transformation” before the next class
Class 3 on January 27: Leading Through the Conflict
Pre-class assignment: Be prepared to discuss Read Part II: Chapters Five, Six and Seven (pages 75-110) in “Spirit and Art of Conflict Transformation”
- Strategies for responding to Conflict
- Mediation Skills
- Prevention, Preparation, Intervention
- Introduction of Conflict Resolution Planning Template
Assignment for next class: Read Part II: Chapters Eight, Nine and Ten (pages 111-144) in “Spirit and Art of Conflict Transformation” before the next class and begin work on the Conflict Resolution Plan for your church/ministry
Class 4 on February 10: Conflict and Culture
Pre-class assignment: Be prepared to discuss Part II: Chapters Eight, Nine and Ten (pages 111-144) and your progress on the Conflict Resolution Plan for your church/ministry
- Racism, Sexism, and More
- Boundaries in Relationships
- Refining your church’s Conflict Resolution Plan
Assignment: Complete and Submit Conflict Resolution Plan to Rev. Doris K. Dalton at firstname.lastname@example.org by February 17.
Certificates of Completion and Credits will be issued by March 1, 2022. To earn course credits for Advanced Lay Servants or CEUs for clergy, you must be attend all four classes and complete class assignments.
Questions about this class? Please contact email@example.com